Words cannot convey how upset I am at the events that took place in Washington, DC on January 6, 2021.
As our country’s leaders met to confirm the electoral vote, protesters rallied outside. But this wasn’t a peaceful event. Fueled by the words of a man sworn to defend our democracy and the constitution of the Unites States, this unruly mob attacked the police, vandalized and broke into the capital, and disrupted government proceedings.
The instigator is man who has repeatedly spouted false claims of election fraud, despite lack of evidence. Even after his own attorney general and election officials declared Biden president-elect, this man announced that he will never concede the election. All this while official met to confirm the winner.
In case you are not clear:
- Peaceful protesters don’t carry weapons, especially into an area where it is a federal crime to do so.
- Peaceful protesters don’t assault police officers.
- Peaceful protesters don’t knock down barricades.
- Peaceful protesters don’t bring pipe bombs and molotov cocktails to a rally.
- Peaceful protesters don’t break doors and windows.
- Peaceful protesters don’t force their way into federal buildings and assault federal employees.
- Peaceful protesters don’t destroy public property.
- Peaceful protesters don’t disrupt government officials as they perform their civic duties.
- Peaceful protesters don’t try to force the stop of the peaceful transition of power.
- Peaceful protesters don’t bring tasers to a rally and used them on public servants.
This was a planned riot intent on disrupting our democracy and causing harm to its citizens and property. It was an act of domestic terrorism.
All participants in this travesty, including those who people who encouraged them, should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
“The words of a President matter, no matter how good or bad that president is. At their best, the words of a president can inspire. At their worst, they can incite.”President Elect Joe Biden
We’ve yet to hear condemnation for this assault on our democracy from the man who started this riot. I don’t expect we ever will.